Field Data Collection


140x140

Background

In the framework of updating the land cover map for 2010, MRCS/IKMP cooperated with Member Countries in the Lower Mekong Basin to collect land cover field data. Field surveys updated data and information on land cover types and their characteristics at 9,357 points in 703 areas across the basin. Results of the field surveys have been generated into Member Country reports. They reflect knowledge and understanding of the distribution, ecological functioning and conservation at each location and also contain summaries of background information available for each point. Land cover description cards for the 9,357 points are stored in the IKMP Server for internal users and are accessible through the data portal of the MRC website.

The overall objective of collecting field data for the project was to provide good baseline information for producing updated and qualified land cover data sets and land cover information for the Lower Mekong Basin. Specific objectives included improved understanding of the characteristics of the types or classes of land cover in the basin.?

Data collection mainly focused on hotspots (areas with changes in land cover of high significance), which accounted for 55 percent of all points. Non-hotspot areas (those with changes in land cover of low significance) accounted for the remaining 45 percent. Data were collected in each of the Member Countries by national data collection and land cover experts. The experts were responsible for data quality assurance and reported to IKMP for final approval. As data were being collected, a remote sensing specialist conducted two field missions in each country.





Field Survey teams on sites:
140x140
140x140
140x140

140x140

140x140

140x140